Monday, December 7, 2015

BATLE OF THE BANDS - A Real Christmas Horserace






WHO-WEE! This BATTLE really turned into a race. If you go back to the original post you will notice the second comment from Mr. McCarthy where he refers to my luck in the fact that the first two votes were one for each of the competitors. Mr. McCarthy was pretty sure this contest could have been a shut-out, but was at the very least going to be a blow-out. After about a half dozen votes or so, I was pretty sure he was right. Boy, or boy, was I disappointed.

Mr. McCarthy suggested that Judy’s version, with the movie clip was a little tinny sounding and a bit long. I had to agree, but I love that scene from the movie so much I wanted to share it with you. Anyway…through about two thirds of the voting Judy was getting trounced.

BUT, I knew I could count on you guys and the later votes were pretty much all for Judy.

Now, don’t get me wrong Mr. Mathis does a fine job on this one and I have to agree with those of you who said he sounded a tad bit more cheerful than Judy, but it’s still a pretty sad song. And to my ears, Johnny’s tiny upbeat turn, just didn’t do it for me.

Aside from the fact that this movie is number six movie, on the list of my twenty-five all-time favorite movies, and this little scene is my very most favorite in the whole movie, and Judy looks so beautiful and sings so sweetly in this scene; do I really need to go on, and do I need to say out loud that I give Judy my vote. She introduced this song in 1944 and she still owns it today!

The final tally is:
                      Johnny Mathis                       11 votes
                      Judy Garland                        13 votes (including mine)

I am thrilled that this was such a close race. For a few days I even thought I was going cast the deciding vote, but in the end Judy pulled ahead by one vote, and then mine gave her a two vote lead to win. It’s my opinion that the closer the race, the stronger the BATTLE.

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas Season. I’ll be back on the 15th with another BATTLE and guess what type of music I will be using. Until then…Happy Trails!

10 comments:

  1. A close one indeed at your feed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew that would be a tough one!! Great battle, FAE! Happy holidays, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes siree! What a race! And I bet on the winning horse--well, not saying that Judy Garland is a horse, but you know what I mean.

    Arlee Bird
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Fae" - it's great to hear you sounding so cheerful! Indeed, this was a very strong battle. Good, tight stats. Congratulations. See you on Dec. 15th... and already wondering what you'll present.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FAE ~
    It seems there was an unusually high number of BOTB blowouts this time. Of course there are always a couple of them, but for this round it seemed as if only 2 or maybe 3 were won by a margin of victory less than 5 votes. Janie's was a tie, but I think yours was the next closest.

    I'm glad it turned out the way you really wanted it to. I can't even believe I voted AGAINST JOHNNY MATHIS. Off the top of my headbone, I can't think of ANY OTHER SONG he's recorded in which I would vote for a different singer. As I've said often, Mathis and BOBBY DARIN are pretty much the only "crooners" I really like a lot.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that a close battle is a better battle. It means you found two evenly matched songs. That's really what this is all about, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy Garland was awesome in that movie! Glad that she won the battle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great battle. It only added to the Christmas spirit, which has (for once) infected me this year. Prognosis: incurable. Looking forward to the next battle.

    ReplyDelete